Wednesday 14 April 2010

Hello & welcome to my blog...

As the sun graces the UK with its fabulous presence, the pages of the weekly gossip mags become saturated with articles bemoaning the absence of fat on the frames of bikini clad Girls Aloud and the cast of The Hills whilst they simultaneously take the piss out of those who exceed a size 8. This observation obviously isn’t an original one. For years, the media has lambasted larger women and saluted the perfect figure of minute waists, sky-high legs and pert round breasts leaving us ‘normos’ feeling suitably inadequate and predisposed to spending the rest of our lives hidden under burkas.

Personally, working in the fashion & beauty industry hasn’t given me the best perspective on the subject of looks and body shape. I’m very prepared to admit that I mildly (read ‘wildly’) obsess about my appearance. I’m not, by any stretch of the imagination, the most beautiful woman in the world, but then again I’m not ugly. I’m kind of average. I’m not fat, I’m not thin; I’m not short, I’m not tall.

Nevertheless, I work in an industry in which I am considered big... and that puts me in a mood.

Of course, one’s body confidence is at its lowest at this time of year. We’re English so as the sun comes out, so must our flesh! I am acutely aware of the fact that I don’t have a good bikini bod. I have one that looks passable when layered upon but without clothes it’s simply a mishmash of skinny ankles, flabby tummy, ickle boobs and bingo wings. Sure, there are things about my body that are OK but when in a bikini and confronted with a mirror, I find it impossible to locate them.

So, in spite of my earlier ranting, I give in. This year, I vow to succumb to the pressure of my profession and will embark on a quest to achieve a healthy, svelte and Ď‹ber-sexy bikini body by the time I hit the beach. To this end, I’ve created this little self-indulgent blog as a record of my successes and (inevitable) failures. From now until July I will strive to trim inches off my tummy and my thighs and to build biceps so powerful that I could arm-wrestle Michelle Obama out of the arena. During my quest I will follow different diets, try a variety of supplements and, of course, literally exercise my arse off at any exciting classes that I come across. I’m hoping that by July I will have transformed into one of those fabulous Brits who feels confident enough to stroll around a Spanish supermarket in nothing but a denim skirt and bikini top. Hot.

Wish me luck...

Lulu x

(Picture not my own - http://thesuperficial.com/2007/09/0928_heidi_montag_bikini_beach_02.jpg)

No comments:

Post a Comment